Karim Belabas on Sun, 10 Dec 2023 22:09:31 +0100

Re: The GP command “?”

* Bill Allombert [2023-12-10 21:28]:
> On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 03:58:35PM +0000, John Cremona wrote:
> > I do use ? as I still don't know the section numbers.
>
> ... especially since we change them from time to time.
> Some sections are a bit too crowded, but '??10' is useful.

For most section numbers, yes. There are partial alternatives such as
??nf or ??bnf for ??10, but all are relatively obscure, whereas asking
for (extended) help about a particular section is relatively intuitive.

> And this is more useful than a fixed text intended for beginners.
>
> Also  the single-question-mark display system is not suitable for long text.
> Maybe we can add
> ??beginners before ??tutorial

We should also allow '? beginners' (with completion, so ? beg<TAB> would be
enough with factory settings).

We want that text to be always available, and extended help may not be ...

Cheers,

    K.B.
--
Pr. Karim Belabas, U. Bordeaux, Vice-président en charge du Numérique
Institut de Mathématiques de Bordeaux UMR 5251 - (+33) 05 40 00 29 77