Ilya Zakharevich on Sun, 17 Dec 2023 14:03:45 +0100

Re: libpari precision handling changes

On Sat, Dec 16, 2023 at 11:42:14AM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> > It seems that I was not clear enough.  THE reason for changing the
> > names of macros and functions is not to make it easier to “fix any
> > code that is affected”.

> The change does not change the documented API, so no properly written code
> should be affected.

Given that there is no tool to change that a code is “properly
written”, this is kind of moot.

> Changing the macro and function names would force everybody
> to rewrite the code to use the new names.

Not if doing -DPARI_PREC_IS_IN_BITS would make the definitions and
macros to appear so that the code would compile.

> The new stable releases 2.17 will have a new ABI anyway.

Is it discussed somewhere?

Thanks,
Ilya