McLaughlin, James on Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:21:15 +0100

RE: Computing a system of fundamental units

I meant this response to go to the list also.

Here is a related question (at least related to what I am trying to do):

Given an irreducible polynomial in Z{x], is there any simple way of calculating the degree of the associated splitting field over Q?
All I need is the degree of the extension, and not any of the other invariants of the splitting field.

Thanks for the response. I have been able to get the set of fundamental units for my degree 31 polynomial (in fact it did not take that long really - a few hours) and am presently waiting to see if it can do the same for a degree 37 polynomial.

I really wanted to check if I was doing this in the most efficient way, since I would like to push this as high as possible. I do not have prior information about the regulator. (I am working on a  problem that necessitates finding solutions to certain Thue equations).

Do you happen to know the record for pari/gp in this regard - the highest degree irreducible polynomial that pari/gp has been able to compute a set of fundamental units for the corresponding number field?

I will investigate the CVS version.

Jimmy Mc Laughlin.