Greg Marks on Fri, 12 May 2023 04:10:28 +0200

library .tbss mismatches

On a computer on which, years ago, I installed Pari-GP both from the
source tarball and from the Debian Linux repositories, I am unable to
compile C programs such as the extgcd.c program in the Pari examples.
I get these errors:

$gcc -Wall -O3 -o extgcd extgcd.c -lpari
/usr/bin/ld: PARI_SIGINT_block: TLS definition in /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libpari.so section .tbss mismatches non-TLS reference in /tmp/ccQUa8Wh.o
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/10/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libpari.so: error adding symbols: bad value

The version installed from source was pari-2.13.2.  I tried going
back to the build directory to uninstall that version, but "make"
apparently has no "uninstall" target.  I've also tried downloading and
installing pari-2.15.3 from source, hoping that that would reconfigure
the shared libraries, but the C programs still fail to compile, with
the same errors.

I am considering the command "sudo apt-get purge libpari-gmp-tls7"
followed by reinstalling libpari-gmp-tls7 from the Debian repositories;
however, I am getting a warning that this will remove approximately 200
packages, including sagemath, singular, gap, flintqs, and many others.
True, these can be reinstalled, but I am reluctant to make radical
changes like this unless I'm sure that will fix my shared library
problem.

On similarly configured machines with Pari-GP installed only from the
Debian repositories, the same C programs with the #include <pari/pari.h>
header compile and run just fine.

Is there some simple solution to this problem?

Best regards,
Greg Marks