Andreas Enge on Tue, 08 Aug 2023 10:08:03 +0200

Partial ECPP certificates

Hello,

someone using my CM code to create ECPP certificates was wondering whether
there was an error somewhere in the middle of the as yet unfinished
computation. I considered using GP and primecertisvalid, but the only
output is a 0 or a 1, even when cranking up the debug level.

So I am wondering whether you would consider adding more information to
the output to distinguish between a correct, but only partial certificate
and a real mistake. One possibility would be an optional flag "partial"
with default 0; if set to 1, primecertisvalid would return 1 for a
correct partial certificate. I think this would be well in line with the
option to create partial certificates by primecert.

And/or higher debug levels could output some information on the different
steps and print in which certificate entry there is an error.

I also noticed that primecert will happily "complete" a partial
certificate with an error in it. This is a valid choice ("garbage in,
garbage out"), but it would be more convincing if a means of checking
a partial certificate were implemented.

What do you think?

Andreas