Bill Allombert on Mon, 04 Dec 2023 11:15:25 +0100

Re: PARI/GP pthread questions

On Sun, Dec 03, 2023 at 05:04:58PM +0100, hermann@stamm-wilbrandt.de wrote:
> What I asked for was not changing behavior.
> I asked about correcting doc (3.2.24 wrt pthread):
> https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/pub/pari/manuals/2.15.4/users.pdf#page=125

Indeed, but what wording do you suggest, that is understandable by someone
with little experience with parallel computing ?

The GNU libc sysconf manpage says
 - _SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF The number of processors configured

which hinges on the meaning of 'processors'.

The Windows documentation says
<https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/sysinfoapi/ns-sysinfoapi-system_info>

dwNumberOfProcessors:
  The number of logical processors in the current group. To retrieve the
current processor group, use the GetLogicalProcessorInformation function.

Cheers,
Bill