William Jagy on Fri, 26 Jan 2024 18:58:48 +0100

rational matrices

Dear Pari-users,
       My name is Will Jagy.
       I would like to know whether two commands,

qfgaussred()
qfsign()

work entirely with integers and rational numbers when given a square symmetric matrix of integers, so that no numerical errors are introduced.

The brief documentation I found  on qfgaussred() does suggest this. Certainly that is what my own C++/GMP  program does. I found what seems the exact method in Gantmacher (1959) The Theory of Matrices, volume 1, pages 299-300. He called it Lagrange's method, while in France it is named after Gauss     https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A9duction_de_Gauss   .

Similar questions for qfsign().  If all it does is read the diagonal entries of the matrix in qfgaussred() then it can be used as is.

Will Jagy
California, USA