hermann on Wed, 28 Feb 2024 10:01:12 +0100

Re: foursquares.gp

On 2023-11-19 00:28, hermann@stamm-wilbrandt.de wrote:
Bill did develop and tuned foursquares.gp based on this thread:
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/archives/pari-users-2310/msg00003.html

You can find foursquares.gp in contributed GP scripts section:
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/Scripts/
https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/Scripts/foursquares.gp

Just saw (interesting) discussion
"Fermat's 12th composite part as sum of two squares"
in "mersenneforum.org->Fun Stuff->Puzzles":
https://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=29344

F_12 (2^2^12+1) has 6 known factors, and the composite part has 1133 decimal digits. Alpertron used his calculator to provide one sum of two squares representation.

I cloned his repo, and that computation took less than 0.1s.
I tried to make it compute another sum of two squares [for factoring the composite part ;-)]. But fsquares returned sum of three squares next, again in less than a second.

So the code for determining sum of (up to 4) squares was perhaps just lucky to find two squares:
https://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?p=651405#post651405

I did run PARI/GP twosquares() on composite part and aborted after 81min on AMD 7950X CPU.

foursquares(n) returns result in 136ms, threesquares(n) in 259ms for composite n.

Regards,

Hermann.