Ilya Zakharevich on Sat, 02 Dec 2023 22:06:56 +0100

Re: ?+

On Sat, Dec 02, 2023 at 07:59:46PM +0100, hermann@stamm-wilbrandt.de wrote:
> On 2023-12-01 23:03, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> > I think this is not the best practice.  I would expect
> >   ?+
> > return help about all “functions” having “+” in their names.  And

> Three question marks do that:

> ? ???+
>   "GP operators"

Sorry, I cannot read which way you were nodding your head writing this…

Do you think it is good/bad/wrong/may-be-improved?  Or do you suspect
this is somewhat related to what I wrote about
  ?+
  ??+
?

> ?

Cannot parse this question mark either: was it supposed to be a query
to GP/PARI?

  (I do not doubt that a person can understand what “+” and “++” do in
   PARI after spending a week with the documentation + googling.
   However, GP seems to be very close to become almost
   self-documenting
     GIVEN THAT the user reads one line of the gp”s startup message…

(Yes, I know that expecting users to READ messages is a pipe dream!)

Thanks,
Ilya