Bill Allombert on Tue, 16 May 2023 22:32:29 +0200

Re: library .tbss mismatches

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 02:18:31PM +0200, John Cremona wrote:
> I think the underlying problem here is that package managers who package
> sagemath make it dependent on several other packages, including pari --
> which makes sense, as pari is a dependency of Sage.  So if you install
> sagemath using the package manager (in debian in your case) it will install
> its own pari package, and becuase that is a dependency, it means that
> uninstalling the pari package will uninstall every other packe it depends
> on, including sagemath.

This is entirely correct, but I do not think Greg issue was linked to sagemath.

Given that various files were installed in wrong places under /usr/local, it is
not inconceivable that some incorrect files were installed in /usr too.

In that case reinstalling the package would replace the incorrect files by
correct versions.

Bottom line: do not do 'sudo make install'.  Install the file somewhere safe
instead.

If you really really want to do "sudo make install", do first
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/PARI
check that everything in /tmp/PARI is in the right directory and
then only do 'sudo make install'.

Cheers,
Bill.