American Citizen on Tue, 05 Mar 2024 02:55:17 +0100

Re: Question on completeness of the qfminin() command on finding all vectors for a given positive definite symmetric matrix

I have to point this out to everyone, sorry... but I did read the documentation and please find for me the word "negation" ? Please! I beg you!

The documentation (web page  https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/dochtml/html/Vectors__matrices__linear_algebra_and_sets.html#qfminim)  states

qfminim(x, {B}, {m}, {flag = 0})

x being a square and symmetric matrix of dimension d representing a positive definite quadratic form, this function deals with the vectors of x whose norm is less than or equal to B, enumerated using the Fincke-Pohst algorithm, storing at most m pairs of vectors: only one vector is given for each pair ± v. There is no limit if m is omitted: beware that this may be a huge vector! The vectors are returned in no particular order.

The function searches for the minimal nonzero vectors if B is omitted. The behavior is undefined if x is not positive definite (a "precision too low" error is most likely, although more precise error messages are possible). The precise behavior depends on flag.

* If flag = 0 (default), return [N, M, V], where N is the number of vectors enumerated (an even number, possibly larger than 2m), M ≤ B is the maximum norm found, and V is a matrix whose columns are found vectors.

* If flag = 1, ignore m and return [M,v], where v is a nonzero vector of length M ≤ B. If no nonzero vector has length ≤ B, return []. If no explicit B is provided, return a vector of smallish norm, namely the vector of smallest length (usually the first one but not always) in an LLL-reduced basis for x.

In these two cases, x must have integral small entries: more precisely, we definitely must have d.|x| oo 2 < 253 but even that may not be enough. The implementation uses low precision floating point computations for maximal speed and gives incorrect results when x has large entries. That condition is checked in the code and the routine raises an error if large rounding errors occur. A more robust, but much slower, implementation is chosen if the following flag is used:

* If flag = 2, x can have non integral real entries, but this is also useful when x has large integral entries. Return [N, M, V] as in case flag = 0, where M is returned as a floating point number. If x is inexact and B is omitted, the "minimal" vectors in V only have approximately the same norm (up to the internal working accuracy). This version is very robust but still offers no hard and fast guarantee about the result: it involves floating point operations performed at a high floating point precision depending on your input, but done without rigorous tracking of roundoff errors (as would be provided by interval arithmetic for instance). No example is known where the input is exact but the function returns a wrong result.

I have hit this problem before, where things get assumed.. as it is NOT IN THE DOCUMENTATION

I try to go by the documentation, but if things are missing, how do I know???

Sorry, but this hit a nerve

Randall