American Citizen on Tue, 05 Mar 2024 02:57:12 +0100

Re: Question on completeness of the qfminin() command on finding all vectors for a given positive definite symmetric matrix

Hermann:

You are exactly correct!. I have to add the negative points, since qfminim only supplies the "positive" vectors. Note that I said "positive" vectors, because the entries might < 0.

I know now that Bill wrote this algorithm to give the most efficient answer, and we have to remember to add the "negative" vectors.

Randall

On 3/4/24 15:13, hermann@stamm-wilbrandt.de wrote:
On 2024-03-04 23:31, American Citizen wrote:

However when I actually used this to find all rational points < height
13, I found 18 points which were missing from the 49 which qfminim()
gave + torsion points.

I ran into this pitfall as well for my application and asked on this list.
I learned from Bill that I just had to add the negative values to get all:

S=concat(S,-S);

You can visually see that in ℤ³ by clicking on the "S=concat(S,-S)" radio button bottom left:
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/tqf_3D.2.gp.n_37.html

Regards,

Hermann.