Gareth Ma on Wed, 17 Apr 2024 13:50:17 +0200

Re: another simple question

I will also note the relation between this and finding minimal polynomial. If you have an approximation x of an algebraic number, you can LLL on the powers of x to find its minpoly. If the degree or the coefficients are too small, the problem is then kind of meaningless. For example, 0.42 is an approximation to a root of 50x-21=0 and x^2+2x-1=0 and more.

(This can be used for modular polynomial stuff and more iirc)