Bill Allombert on Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:32:30 +0100

Re: Readline/editline

On Wed, Oct 25, 2023 at 03:31:43PM -0700, Justin C. Walker wrote:
> HI, all,
>
> I just rebuilt gp using a different “Configure” line, viz:
>   ./Configure --mt=pthread --with-readline --with-gmp --tune
> I previously built without the “—mt” argument.
>
> When I start the previous instance of gp, it shows the presence of
> “libreadline”, but the new instance does not (readline not compiled in).
>
> Output from the new build shows this:
> ###
> ### Editline wrapper detected, building without readline support
> ###
> ### Building without GNU readline support
>
> Any idea why the earlier build worked, but this one did not?  FWIW, my
> system is MacOS 10.13.6 (yeah, I know: long in the tooth), and is essentially
> unchanged between the two builds (~1 year apart; both are 2.15.0).

Maybe you reinstalled brew or you need to pass the path to readline to
Configure with --with-readline=/usr/local or /opt/brew or some such.
See this FAQ entry: <https://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/faq.html#mac10readline>

editline is a fake readline library provided by Apple to waste developper time.

Cheers,
Bill.